Thursday, July 26, 2007

Tricky Business

This one is a request from my mom.. who was one of the standard chartered credit card subscribers. She's quite mad this morning when she told me that yesterday her bill for last month which only Rp 10.800,- (around 1.25 dollar) increased to Rp 88.000,- (around 11 dollars) because there's an interest so the amount become Rp. 38.000,- and penalty of Rp. 50.000,-.

"Is that logical?" she said to me "I didn't pay the 10 thousands because it just doesn't worth it! You see, the bank will add another Rp 7.500,- for the payment cost.. It's more than 50% of the bill. And besides, as far as I know, all banks have the same regulation that it is okay to pay your bill the next month without any interest charge if the amount is less than Rp. 20.000,-. I have had a same case with HSBC, back then my bill was Rp 11.000,- but when I called to the customer service, they said that I can pay it next month without any interest charged to it."

So I told her to close the StanChart's card but she already did. Plus, she made a good debate with the customer service. Just think, the 1st bill was due on the 5th July 2007 with the amount of that 10 thousands and by 22nd July 2007, the amount becomes Rp. 38.000,- How much is the interest?! Almost 300% right?! It is soooo not right. That is why I'm agree to write down this blog so that anyone who read it, know about how StanChart gets their profit from: "decepting their customers" oh.. that reminds me of one of the two popular fitness centres in Jakarta (hint: purple colour). They also like to trick their customers, my mom and a friend of mine are few examples of their many victims.

I'm very sure that there are still many companies in Indonesia that like to 'play with their customers' such as those two. It's just too bad, those two are quite big companies but why they still do that tricky things? O well, hope you can learn from our experience and be more careful..

No comments:

Post a Comment