Sunday, November 15, 2009

Parental Guidance

"I have 2 kids, 1 is 7 years old and the other one is 4 year old. The 7 years old is very naughty. I don't know what to do with him anymore.."
"What did he do?"
"It's too many... I don't know what to say.."
"The last time, what did he do?"
"Okay.. the last time is when I went to their room. I sat on his brother's bed, trying to get him to go to sleep.. but the 7 years old yelled at me, saying that he wants me to sit on his bed instead, that I don't love him as much as I love his brother.. I told him it's not true, that he's bigger than his brother so I need to take care more of his brother.. but he kept yelling and yelling.."
"So what did you do?"
"I didn't do anything.. I let him yell.."
"Did you hit him?"
"Sometimes.. because I just can't take it anymore.. I don't know what to do with him?"
"Did it work? The hitting?"
"No.."
"So you want to know if the listeners can help you?"
"Yes, to find how to make this kid stop acting naughty.."

Heard it on the radio this morning, really made me want to call the mother and shout at her. Stupid parents.
Judging from the kid's side, it's very easy to find out why he acts that way.. it's because of her mom of course. When she knows that her kid is jealous of his younger brother, the only thing that she has to do is to show that she loves them equally. When he yells, just approach him and tell him that she loves him also. Don't hit him, because it will make him feels that his mother truly doesn't love him anymore especially when he sees his mother's treatment to his brother is different.

I am the middle child, so I know the feeling of jealousy, not wanted, and trying to get attention. For you who's the only child or the youngest, maybe don't know these feelings. You have to compete with your siblings who obviously are more loved by your parents, you have to keep silent when your parents scold you when you know that your younger sister is the cause of this mess in the living room, you have to see how your parents treat you differently from the others. It's not a good feeling, I tell you. It sucks big time.
Because of that, the result can be divided into 2 types: the positive one and the negative one.

The positive one:
- To get attention from the parents: the kid turns out to be very intelligent in their studies
- The kid never complaint and is a very good kid but sick inside.

The negative one:
- To get attention from the parents: Turning to someone who always try to make trouble, such as the kid in the story.
- Turn the sadness and unwanted feelings into anger and hatred.

So if you want to be a parent, be fair to your kids. Maybe you can say "Oh, I've done that." but the fact is you haven't, you can't and you never will. You'll always have your 'favorite'.
Even I have promised to myself, that if I got 3 kids, I will love the middle one the most. No matter what. It's kinda unfair to the other two, but I don't care.

No comments:

Post a Comment